Tuesday, July 10, 2012

For The Love of All Montagues and Capulets Everywhere

One of my favorite movies was on last night. 1996’s Romeo + Juliet starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes.
The film is an abridged modernization of Shakespeare's play. The original Shakespearean dialogue is kept for effect. The Montagues and the Capulets are represented as warring business empires and swords are replaced by guns. Ironically the guns are manufactured by ‘Swords’. *Tongue-in-cheek*
A few names were changed Lord & Lady Montague/Capulet were all given first names, Friar Lawrence became Father Lawrence and Price Escalus is now Captian Prince. Also the ending was slightly different.
What makes me love this movie so much? I know the reasons why I love it but what strikes a chord in me? Maybe it was the year; 1996 was a huge year for me. I graduated high school (stop trying to do the math) and was on to college and trying to find my way in life. At this point, I had never experienced a love as deep as theirs, and not that I would want to. I love my husband but would never commit suicide to be with him in whatever afterlife is waiting for us – after suicide.
I fell in love with each of the actors and have “followed” them ever since.
Leo DiCap will always hold a tender spot in my heart. Of course I loved him way before R+J came out but he wooed me with his sweet tongue, tears, and embrace. Uh - I mean he wooed Juliet cause - you know - the movie is about Juliet - not me. *swoon*
Claire D was an emotional force that drove the ending straight through my heart.
Harold Perrineau as Mercutio was, by far, my favorite. The way he spoke those old Shakespearean words and his presence captivated me. Loved him again in HBO’s Oz and of course in LOST. He was also in the zombie flick 28 Weeks Later. *drool*
John LeTakeMyClothesOff err, umm, Leguizamo as Tybalt was spot on. Of course my love for John started a year earlier with his take on Chi-Chi in To Wong Foo. Oh he’s so “ROMANTICAL”!

Do you ride and die with the Capulets or the Montagues?
Side note ... love love love the soundtrack!
This movie defines a moment in my life; what movie makes you relive your past?

5 comments:

  1. Ahh, I love this movie too! I always remember being blown away by the beauty of it. That might sound a bit weird, but that picture of Juliet peering through the fish always sticks in my mind. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh there are too many movies that do this to me, I can't pick just one. We actually watched this as an assignment in my English class senior year. I bought it for 3 bucks at Movie Trading Company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grease is one of the movies that define a period in my life. Simpler times during a complicated phase of my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sixteen Candles defines my teenage years. I so wanted to be Samantha with Jake showing up in the Porsche with a birthday cake.

    I recently saw a move with Claire Danes that totally blew me away. She was so good. It's called "Temple Grandin." It's a true story of an autistic woman who did some incredible things for animal welfare in the cattle industry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who spent A LOT of time studying Shakespeare in college (senior thesis - ugh), I'm always still so surprised how much I LOVE this movie. It's probably my favorite adaptation, even thought my thesis proff tore it to shreds. But screw it - it's a terrific movie. And I too LOVE the soundtrack. One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

I heart me some good comments... and pumpkin spice latte's too!