Friday, November 7, 2014

Novels to Shows/Movies - My Rambles

I'm sure many of you have read a book and thought, this would make a cool movie (or show).

However, many moons later, or maybe not so many moons later, a trailer for said novel pops up somewhere and you think to yourself, oh great, how stupid is this going to be? Especially for the lovers of the venerated YA genre.

Right out of the gate there was a huge setback with the Twilight Saga. Let's face it, Twilight sucked the biggest egg in egg history for this generation of novel pop culture. And although each movie gradually, and I mean in a painful way, got better, it still left a sulfur stench in the air.

Sadly, Twilight isn't the only casualty to this onslaught of literature war. Vampire Academy came in at a rump-bumping second. When I have to cover my eyes because I'm embarrassed to be watching it - and I'm by myself so who do I have to hide from, it's not a good adaptation. And that is frustrating as all get-out.

The Mortal Instruments and Beautiful Creatures were entertaining movies and followed their novel counterparts almost perfectly with a side of cheese but I still found myself cringing during some eye-rolling moments.

Since then though, I can see a rise of YA books being churned into big screen adaptations and the money behind it making sure the movie projects is what the author intended and superior than the one made before it. Hunger Games, Divergent, Fault of Our Stars, and much much more. And these also some of my favorites.

Which actually bring me to my main point *transition*

About six months ago... no wait let me check so to make sure... brb...

My bad, nine months ago, I read The 100 by Kass Morgan (still need to read Day 21) and it turned out to be an alright space-come-to-earth kind of book. Adventurous and exciting. Multiple points of view and each view was kept on point and never confusing. And, I had one of those moments when the thought of it becoming a movie or TV series would be great. Well low-and-behold, it was. March of this year on the CW network premiered the first season.

At this point you are probably wondering if I started watching it? No, unfortunately I didn't. I thought it looked cheesy and a little too dramatic, in the girly sense, for me. Well, let me just say... I stand corrected! Not on the girly part, it has plenty of touchy-feely but it has just as much in the heated action department. I had some down time this week (which I totally should have been writing) but I decided to give this show a try, and it turned out to be pretty amazing and I instantly became hooked. In four days I back-watched the first season on Netflix and caught up on the first three episodes of the second on the CW app. And now I am rip-roaring and ready to go for next weeks episode!

Has anyone else watched The 100? What do you think?
Have you read the book(s)? How do you compare the two?


4 comments:

  1. The 100 is a really good show. The first season is a must see. The Maze Runner is another well done adaptation and I can't wait for Mockingjay. I haven't read Vampire Academy yet but I can still see why the movie version was cringe worthy. Campy fun was probably not what such a title was going for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't realize a lot of these movies/tv shows are books until they come out on screen. I thought about watching The 100, but I have so much other stuff to watch. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to watch The 100, but haven't yet. I LOVED The Fault in our Stars in novel form, but I'm nervous to see the movie. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. No on either account. Not read or seen the show.

    It seems like the last few years a lot of popular books are becoming movies. Maybe it hasn't changed recently, but it seems like it to me. I don't know if that's the same for TV series too though. It be interesting to know what TV shows came from books.

    ReplyDelete

I heart me some good comments... and pumpkin spice latte's too!